Geronimo 3.0.x Release Process
Have 3.0.1 release as an example.
1. Better to use a non-Windows system to create the release candidate
- Dos line endings makes all unix shell scripts unexecutable
2. mvn rat:check
3. Manually update some files:
- Updates all pom.xml files to search "SNAPSHOT" to ensure there is no snapshot dependencies
- Updates plugin-list url in $SRC\framework\configs\plugin\pom.xml
- Updates ##VERSION## in README.txt and RELEASE_NOTES.txt in source code root folder and $SRC\framework\configs\karaf-framework
- Updates JIRAs in RELEASE_NOTES.txt (bugs, improvement, new features, known issues, and limitations)
- Updates the copyright year number in NOTICE files
- Updates some un-released modules' versions to 3.0.1. Refer to this ant scripts to update the versions in batch.
- Commit them
4. mvn release:prepare -DdryRun=true -Pall-subprojects
5. Release Prepare
- Before doing release prepare, clean up you local repository to avoid the bad staging release artifacts to be included in the geronimo release. see reference.
- This will update the versions in branch 3.0 and create the release tag
- Manually remove all *.log files in the source code root folder, otherwise those might be packed into the source code zip files.
- mvn release:clean -Pall-subprojects
- mvn release:prepare -Pall-subprojects
- you need "mvn clean install -Dstage=bootstrap" in midway
6. Release Perform
- Vote in mailing list, meanwhile wait TCK results. Sample release vote email as following:
- Post "VOTE PASSxxx" in the subject, and summarize the vote status in the body when vote close.
8. Release artifacts
- In Apache nexus, click "release"
- the artifacts will be synchronized to maven central repository in some time.
9. Update geronimo-plugins.xml
10. Check-in artifacts into dist svnpubsub
11. Announce in Mailing list and Post news in homepage
12. Update the security advisory page
13. Manaually update files in the 3.0 branch after release
- update 3.0.1-SNAPSHOT to ##VERSION## in README.txt and RELEASE_NOTES.txt
- remove the JIRA list in RELEASE_NOTES.txt (bugs, improvement, new features, limitations)
- search "3.0.0" and change them to "3.0.1-SNAPSHOT"
- Update artifact-alias, add version 3.0.0 in artifact-alias after 3.0.0 release
- commit them
1. Use Genesis 2.0 as a parent pom
2. Use Maven 3.0.3
It is highly recommended to use Maven's password encryption capabilities for your passwords.http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-encryption.html
3. Setup PGP Keys (for the ones who be the release manager the first time)